Why do so many people get holiday packing wrong? As airlines tighten their policies on baggage allowance, perfecting the art of packing could save you money as well as reduce stress, so TheR8.com has come up with this ultimate guide to successful holiday packing.
There is always the temptation to pack everything but the kitchen sink; afterall, if you pack everything then you’ll be fine, right? Wrong, especially now airlines are now getting stricter when it comes to our personal bag allowance.
How we pack, Facts
- Half of us cram extra items into our suitcase just before we leave for the airport
- Most people FOLD: 68% fold clothes, 22% both fold and roll, 10% just roll clothes
- The majority of women admit they over pack – 91% claim they never wear all of their clothes
- Men use 98% of what they’ve packed while away on holiday while women only wear 62% of what they’ve packed
- Men pack ‘items’ of clothing while women pack ‘outfits’
The art of holiday packing – how to pack like a pro
This year, you can do it differently, thanks to this, the ultimate guide to successful packing…
- Roll, don’t fold – you will actually fit in more clothes if you roll them up very tightly and then tightly pack into your case.
- Make a list – before you even contemplate reaching for suitcase, plan what you will wear by day and what can go with what and stick to it!
- Don’t be last minute – the optimum time is at least two days before your holiday.
- Heavy items at the bottom – and keep lighter items that tend to get creased at the top.
- Make use of shoes – stuff footwear with rolled up underwear, socks, jewellery, and even toiletries. Place footwear around the outside of the case.
- Buy when you get there – you can buy some consumable items when you get there – saving you even more space!
- Wear your bulkiest items – if you’re really struggling to pack everything wear it! Layer up.
- Fragile items – pack any electricals in the centre of your case, cocooned by soft clothes.
Do you agree with these tips? Are there any other suggestions you would like to add? Please tell us in the comments!
Call our free concierge service on 1800 908 254 and one of our travel experts will be happy to assist you with your booking.
P: 1800 908 254